Friday 13 November 2015

I think this one is about trains and society

My dad asked me why there's only been one blog post in three months and while that's probably exaggerated, it's true that I find myself having nothing to write about. Essentially I could write about anything and post it. But the level I've set for myself is so high that it's becoming harder and harder to live up to it. I realised that I had stopped writing for myself and started writing for an audience and although that's important, I'm going to try writing for myself again.

With that being said, I'm actually typing this in the train on my way back from Lonavala. I was supposed to be travelling with someone but that girl ditched me so I'm all alone without a book to read or earphones. It may sound sad but tbh, it has been two and a half hours and I don't know how time flew. There's this queer peace one gets by being alone in the company of cockroaches and a box of pizza in your bag. You can spend hours watching them dodge their way through cars, taking in the AC and sips of leftover chai under the seat. They watch the ticket checker wake people up with a 'heylo' and charge three times the money for the arrangement of a seat. It's pretty amusing.

Trains fascinate me way too much for it to be normal. The speed with which it rushes messing up your hair, the variety of people you see and interesting conversations you have with old friends you just happen to meet are all a part of them. To me they aren't just a way to beat the traffic anymore. They're a getaway from the real world, a place where I spend a couple hours in the day, where my lap becomes a desk for assignments due submission and where nobody cares about anything. You want to eat? No one will stare at you. Applying makeup? Go ahead. Finishing your work? Feeling melancholy? They'll give you your space. Because here, everyone cares but no one meddles. 

Trains are like a mini temporary society within the real society. There's this poem about society that I came across written by Erin Hanson.

Welcome to society,
We hope you enjoy your stay,
And please feel free to be yourself,
As long as it's in the right way,
Make sure you love your body,
Not too much or we'll tear you down,
We'll bully you for smiling,
And then wonder why you frown,
We'll tell you that you're worthless,
That you shouldn't make a sound,
And then cry with all the others,
As you're buried in the ground,
You can fall in love with anyone,
As long as it's who we choose,
And we'll let you have your opinions,
But please shape them to our views,
Welcome to society,
We promise that we won't deceive,
And one more rule now that you're here,
There's no way you can leave.

I love the contrast between the attitude of people in the real and temporary society. Maybe it isn't the attitude but the circumstances that make the attitude seem that way. Or perhaps all of this is just a figment of my imagination.

Thanks for reading!
Kanksha :)

No comments:

Post a Comment