Thursday 22 May 2014

An Enthralling Experience

Valley. Deep. Arch bridge. Walk. Fear. Turn back. Music. Dance. Cheering. Push. Jump. Fall. Suspension. Exhilaration. Upside down. Swing. Bounce. Thrill. Pull. Up. Rejoice.

That moment of excitement and butterflies gushing about in my stomach when I was being harnessed at View Point, overlooking the deep, enticing and lush green valley. Then the walk, on an arch bridge, almost hanging in air, several metres above. I didn't dare to look down. If I did, the valley would conveniently swallow me as a whole.

A 5 min walk and I-can’t-go-back-but-I’m-scared-as-hell chanting brought me to what I then perceived as Death Point- A platform from where I would take off to be gobbled up by the lake and forest awaiting below.

And then, the jump, rather, the 5-4-3-2-1-Bungee! push that sent me gliding downwards like an amateur Superman. After a few seconds of free fall, with a mixture of fear and prayerfulness, I opened my eyes and experienced the force of gravity like never before. I was literally tumbling down in open air, didn't know how far I would go (or rather, if I would ever stop falling), all on the mercy of a single rope tied to my ankle which ensured I was completely upside down- like a statue of Christ on the Cross rotated 180 degrees.


Before I could realize that I’d stopped falling downwards, some law of physics pulled me up a little and I found myself bouncing like a wave. All this while, in addition to now enjoying the view, I hoped that my foot wouldn’t slip off my shoe- owing to the absurd position of both- me and the rope.

When I finally stopped worrying, I felt my blood gushing down towards my head. So, I decided to just focus my attention on admiring the natural beauty around me from an angle that I don’t get to see everyday.

And then, the filmy part- where a trainer comes down on a rope, “rescues” me from abnormal blood circulation, and ensures that I reach up to give my dad a big hug, in one piece.

Aditi :)

No comments:

Post a Comment