Sunday 22 June 2014

The Football Fever

La la la la la,
La la la la la,
La la la la la;
I dare you.

What can I say? I'm a bit addicted to Shakira's song. At first, my sister and I were literally laughing out loud at how 'cool' the song was. Yet, just like every Miley Cyrus song, this one was catchy and I ended up listening to it nearly five times today before I couldn't take it anymore!

I'll make something clear to you guys though - I don't watch football. I've read the rules, taken the patience to understand how it works and willed myself to watch a match too. But somehow, I just don't feel like watching it.

Till the world cup came up, I'd see a couple of facebook statues now and then from selected people, related to games and mostly expressing joy if the team they supported won. Suddenly, when I stepped into college about ten days ago, ALL I heard about was the football matches that took place the other day.

Gone were the discussions about the newest resteraunt that opened and the amazing food they served, lost were the conversations on the 'epic-osity' of our professors who do calculations in milli-seconds. In fact, football was just everywhere. Girls who didn't know the names of the players suddenly started finding a couple of them (alright, more than a couple of them) hot. Everybody started talking about how a guy couldn't score in the game but scored in extra time (Whew! So close.). Everyone is busy critisising the performance of a few players while appreciating the others. But *surprise surprise*, some people are yet confused about which colour Jerseys belong to which team. Yes, like totally, Argentina has a yellow Jersey. (Not a New Jersey definitely though.)

In my previous post, I talked about how people play follow the leader/society all the time. That's exactly what I believe is happening. Football has suddenly become the new thing, and regradless of their liking, people want to follow it. So I'm going to test whether you are a follower or actually love the sport. Yes, me, the person who knows hardly anything about football is going to test YOU. If you get all these correct, I believe that you are a true football fan. xD

Q1. What do footballers drink?
(Ans:PenalTea)

Q2. Why do soccer players have so much trouble eating Indian food?
(Ans:They think they can't use their hands!)

Q3. What lights up a football pitch at night?
(Ans:A football match.)

Just kidding. 

But honestly, seeing people act like they love football when they didn't even know about the existance of the teams a month ago annoys me a bit. It's ridiculous. There was this experiment conducted by the people of the show "Brain Games" in Las Vegas. They put up a board that said "Line Starts Here" in the middle of nowhere and made one of their own man go and stand there. Everyone asked the man why he was standing, and he repeatedly told them that someone told him to form a line. Slowly, people started queing up behind him. Mind you, NO ONE knew why they were standing there. After about 30-40 people came up, they were lead through a useless maze - no one complained. There was a red line they put at the end of the maze over which the man jumped over. EVERYONE jumped over the red line too. Basically, people played follow the leader without even realising what they were doing!

Think about it. Why are you watching football? From where did this sudden craze appear? Do you actually enjoy it, or is it just a style statement? Because why in the world would you do something just because the rest of the world is doing it?

Thanks for reading!
Kanksha :)

Read. Comment. Share.

No comments:

Post a Comment