Saturday 30 November 2013

Thanks-giving.

Thanksgiving. It’s not a festival we celebrate in India, but I really think we should. Yeah, apart from the pardoning of a turkey, which spares the lucky birds’ life entitling it eternity to roam freely on farmland, I think “Thanks-giving” would be pretty cool.

On November 28th, my father received an audio note from his recently reacquainted school friend, a note I don’t think anyone in my family will forget. It was about how my dad, who always came first in school, had inspired her to do well, how she only wanted to keep up with him and up her level to his, of how not beating him but doing as well as he always did was her goal. I’m amazed at how she knew she wanted to do well from the third standard. Most of us, I bet, are busy making pictures with crayons or watching a TV show at that age! From rank 48, she did better and halved her ranks till she ended up finally getting a better rank than my dad in grade ten. What left me speechless was her hard work and determination. How can an eight or nine year old girl, at such a tender age, have so much of ambition? Most people don’t have that kind of will power and determination even after they graduate! But even after all of that, I admire her for saying “Thanks” and acknowledging what had motivated her. I loved how optimistic she was and how she believed that she could do it till the very end.

Most of the times, it’s difficult to say thank you when you really mean it. I can’t come to understand why that happens. But it just does.

I think, I’ve learnt two things. The first thing is that anyone can be your inspiration. It need not be some big hotshot like Chetan Bhagat or Roger Federer. It could be that “chai-wala” (a person who sells tea) across the street who greets his customers with a smile and makes them tea passionately every day, it could be that old woman who jogs up the small hill even after huffing and puffing, looking like she is about to pass out but still runs because she has decided to or maybe even a small kid learning how to cycle for whom the word “quitting” is nonexistent! But I think we all need something which keeps us motivated to go on, however much we want to give up.

The second thing is saying thank you. Like if someone helped you along the way, say a thank you – I’m sure that will bring out a smile.

So if you feel like someone deserves it, go ahead and thank them from the bottom of your heart. (Not from your atrium, okay? Only ventricle. :P) Any day could be Thanks-giving day if you want. Who said you have to wait till next November?


Kanksha :)    

One of the main reasons I feel like writing as often is because I know people are reading. So, last but not the least, thanks for reading! :D 

2 comments:

  1. Thank you :)
    I vaguely remember a conversation with you about one of the series of books you read, I vividly remember the feeling when you spoke with me normally. I also recollect being amazed with how fast you could read them, after having taken a while to read one of your essays Mrs.Thomas appreciated :P.
    Back then, I never really listened to the librarian, I always preferred the tinkle digest, but something happened in that conversation. I'm not exactly sure what hit me, but you got me hooked with books. I grew to love them. I guess I can say I also grew through them.
    So, Thank you for that conversation :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I honestly do not know what to reply haha. Back then, making people all round the world fall in love with reading, and making books accessible to everyone by building libraries was a dream. Never imagined a conversation would actually make a difference.
    Thanks for telling me and making me sport a stupid smile for a while. It means a lot.

    ReplyDelete