Saturday 25 March 2017

Don't Go With The Flow

When I got my Grade 10 result, remotely related and immensely curious people-acquaintences wanted to know whether I planned on studying Commerce or Science. When I my reply, “Arts,” shot out of their dichotomised option, with half-shock and half-worry they wondered why, despite me scoring high marks. In the initial moments, I did question my decision but I’m glad I didn’t let myself get dragged down.

Four years have passed since and it’s one of the best decisions I’ve ever made. I never thought I'd say something this poetic for my academic life but through Arts, it feels like I’ve found myself.

I began my first year on a high note, intrigued by all that came my way. No, it hasn’t been rainbows and unicorns all along; there have been times, several of them, where I’ve wanted to stop because I thought I’d “Had enough.” But when I realise what the whole process has done for me on an individual level and the kind of implications these disciples have on the world, I only feel gratitude.

Anthropology (no, it’s got nothing to do with cockroaches) has broadened my understanding of the world like nothing else has. It’s forced me to stretch the boundaries of my mind, question everything I’ve ever believed and welcome multiple perspectives. Psychology made me realise how subjective everything is and my mind is blown by its own power. Literature, well, inspired me to do what I’m currently doing- to write. I’ve found an exciting career opportunity that links to my academic roots. Even though there’s a long way to go before I start out as a professional, just thinking of how powerful a medium I’ve found to bring about positive change makes me dance with joy, literally.

When I look back a few years later, it won’t be the “Arts degree” or sceptical advisors that’ll matter; it’s the journey I chose to undertake and the lives I influenced thereby that will.



So, don't go with the flow- Don't go with something just because everyone around you is. Go with your inner flow because that's what will drive your passion and help you discover yourself. 

Aditi :)

No comments:

Post a Comment