Monday 11 February 2019

Day 5: The Bus Journey: Shimla to Dharamshala

We left from Shimla with the reception calling us out for ruining a towel and demanding a large amount of money for it. Thankfully, they hadn't found the other damaged product.

It was going to be an eight-hour bus ride for sure. That meant that it was game time. We played connect - the first and last game of the ride. Almost everyone gave a word, but by the end we were pretty tired of the game and switched to listening to music.

Somewhere in the middle we stopped for lunch. Everyone was dead tired. I went around and took pictures of each group forcing them to smile. Atleast if they pretended to be happy, maybe they'd fake it till they made it. That didn't work out because the food at the dhaaba wasn't mood lifting at all. Thepla came to the rescue for once, and it tasted delicious with cheese and athana. The three of us who took out our theplas felt accomplished since we managed to finish a decent amount of them.
A lot of people picked up snacks. A lot of people used the washroom. And we got back onto the bus.
The bus ride was still just filled with music and people sleeping or trying to sleep from what I remember. Sitting on the last seat was a bad idea because there was no way to balance myself. Beyond a point we stopped caring as much and kept falling on each other.

view from the bus


No one puked in my bus, which was great. The puking people slept the whole journey. I slept off for twenty minutes in the most entertaining part of the journey where the bus driver argued with the police to let him go through a specific lane. The police did not agree to let us from what I have been told. We still went through that lane.

The one thing that everyone kept discussing was the trek. Patel had added the trek to the itinerary and most of my bus was against it (except me and another couple of people). They wanted to sightsee instead, and have a relaxing day, and fitting everything was not possible since there was a time crunch.

I remember towards the end of the bus journey, we were so bored, that we asked Prapti to tell us the ETA every five minutes or something. She didn't.

We didn't have great expectations about anything. Looking at our hotel from far, it seemed very 'okay'. We were more and more skeptical about it as the road was almost the same width of the bus right at the entrance, the cliff taunting it to topple over in the darkness. After waiting for Shrey to come down with the key he had taken away, and allotting the rooms randomly by making people pick a key from a bag, we dragged our bags up to the third-floor room. IT WAS STUNNING. The best room we had so far, and the best one we were going to have (we didn't know that yet.)

Niti was in a mood because she thought her brandy had spilled in her food bag in spite of having multiple layers of safety on top. She emptied the bag only to realise (happily) that it was just a smell, and no leak.

After gaga-ing at the view, and talking to our parents, informing them about our eleven-hour journey, we proceeded to the dining room. The food was delicious. The rice, noodles, manchurian - everything was yummy. And we also got gulab jamun!! Chinese overall after three days of Paneer was great. 

Following dinner, we had a discussion about trek vs sightseeing. I chose trek. But my knee hurting me every time I climbed the stairs made me cancel soon after.

A bunch of people came over to our room. We tried to play black queen. Did we play anything else? I don't remember. I think I was more focused on the heater near my feet, trying to keep them warm.
After everyone left, I toh slept. Niti and Saumya watched a movie I think.

Oh oh, also, I found out much after the trip that Vinchhi's friend from back home had got a room decorated for him since it was his birthday. Pretty sweet, right?

That's all, more later ^_^
Kanksha

No comments:

Post a Comment