Thursday 9 November 2017

Top Five Favourite Movies

Disclaimer: My impressions of Chief Bogo and Mr. Big are cringeworthy incase you plan to listen to the audio over/while reading the whole thing. 


I detest choosing favourites. There are so many different genres, and each genre has it’s own prodigy. To not narrow my options down by specifying a genre becomes unfair, but I will try.

Fortunately, Bollywood is an easy elimination. I have this family tradition where we go watch a movie every Diwali, and every year has been such a disappointment. My favourite Diwali movies, hence, I can tell you. Action Replay tops the list, with Prem Ratan Dhan Payo a close second. (They’re awful, please don’t watch them.)

I believe that I have a soft corner for Disney movies. Maybe it’s the child in me that likes the guarantee of having a happy ever after while watching one. Even when I read, I have a terrible habit of reading the last few pages so that I’m prepared for how the book will end. That’s also probably why a book has never made me cry, because I know what’s going to happen. But I digress.

My favourite movie has to be Zootopia.



I absolutely love it and can watch it repeatedly without getting bored of it. The bunny and fox have really funny banter, they’re exceedingly sarcastic, and the film is a satire on what society is today.
"My dear, we may be evolved, but deep down, we're still animals.” ~ Mr. Big
It also has jokes on itself.
“Life isn't some cartoon musical where you sing a little song and all your insipid dreams magically come true. So let it go.” ~ Chief Bogo
It isn’t a love story, has a happy ending, and makes me want to hug the person who wrote the script. You won’t stop smiling throughout the film, I promise.

Another movie that I’ve really liked is Fight Club. Maybe others realised what the movie was about, but I didn’t till the very end. I was confounded till they spelt it out, and that’s why it makes it to the list. The film is very much alive and makes you think.
I don’t think I should say much because I’m afraid I’ll reveal the plot.

Moving to romantic comedies, The Proposal gets all my votes.

If you haven’t realised already, tragedies aren’t my thing, neither are sad endings. And I prefer stuff that lightens up my day. The Proposal does exactly that. Being the only rom-com that made me laugh (I did watch it with my very funny cousins so maybe can’t just attribute that to the movie), it gets a full score.

But how can I forget Wonder Woman, oh my god, that movie is incredible. The entire first half is full of amazing women who can hold their own. It’s stunning how she carries herself into a country of men and war, has the right mix of humour, suspense, and seriousness and the film makes you root for her to help stop the war every single minute. It helps you understand that everyone has good and evil in them, and which part they choose to act on makes all the difference. It also shows how every moment is ephemral and we must enjoy it while it lasts.

I love her innocence, I love how determined she is, and I am so thankful that someone finally made a film with a woman who is a superhero and not just the love interest of one.

So here you go, I present to you a list of top five movies which has only four items in it. The only other place you’ll probably find such a list is in Java, but only some people will get this joke.

Nonetheless, now that I’ve written my stress off for the day, I must go and begin working again.

Lot’s of love,
Kanksha

No comments:

Post a Comment