Friday 11 October 2019

What makes our similar lives different?

I saw this kid while I was on my way home. His dad was letting him do whatever he wanted. The kid was this ball of energy, literally, climbing on top of rocks his size, and jumping off them as he ran ahead to finish his (imaginary) obstacle course. Trust me, the happiness when he'd skip over a stone, or when he stopped running at the "finish line" made me smile a big smile. It was 7pm, and this kid was having the time of his life with the world inside his head.

on my way home (no kid here though)
On my way to class about three weeks ago, Shreeshaa wasn't walking with me for once because she had to go talk to a company. I was walking the same road that I walk every day, but it was the first time being alone and not having to use Google maps. It was time to see, listen, and take in my surroundings. A lot of how I see the world today comes from how my family sees it. While we'll be in a car, my mom may point out flowering trees, and Dish casually mention how she saw "insert-name-here" bird. (I'm positive that the bird names she dishes out are random, but she claims otherwise.) What would I be looking at if everyone was here with me and we were just walking around? I thought to myself. And then I saw the grass which was full of dew. I heard birds chirping. I looked at the sky that was so clear, it looked fake. The trees began to look prettier, and that walk overall became so much nicer than just another walk.

Our lives really get transformed by the people we surround ourselves with. In the last post, I asked a question about what makes our lives different when we share so many similar/overlapping experiences. There are two parts to that answer:

  1. You, your thoughts, and your head.
  2. The people you allow in your inner circle.
You control your thoughts. You control how you feel. And you must feel completely in power to do whatever makes you feel great. When I look back and think about the kid, I think about how he was so free in doing what he wanted. He didn't care about what anyone else was doing and just did what he wanted in his own space. Secondly, his head provided space for him to be imaginative and creative. It wasn't a place of stress, worry, or sadness from past experiences - a pattern I hear about from my friends. And in some sense the only way to have a good headspace is to remember that everything is temporary. So if you are feeling low, it will get over. And at a high point, cherish it till it lasts. Find ways to enjoy the present, whatever it brings to you. How well you can do this, is the first thing that will make you experience life differently.

The people you allow in your circle are equally important. I am very lucky to be surrounded by (mostly) sensible people who are rooting for me. I am very lucky to be surrounded by people who care. I can rely on them to give me the right advice. The people I associate myself with are also to some level people like me. I become more like them as I pick things up from them - habits, words, way of living. The people I am surrounded by are mostly looking at the world with a sparkle in their eyes excited for what life has to offer, grateful for what they have, and constantly looking at the good in human beings. (of course sometimes this isn't true, but we constantly inspire each other be this way) They are able to express and communicate how they feel. And if I publish a book today, they will be the first ones to buy it (over asking for a free copy). We need supportive people like that. We need people who share similar values. And we need people who make us want to grow and become better versions of ourselves. 

I hope we all keep finding more and more people who make us smile, think, and reflect. 
I hope we keep growing and becoming better versions of ourselves.

Lots of love,
Kanksha <3

No comments:

Post a Comment