Sunday 30 June 2013

Asakusa Temple and Odaiba - The Architectural Wonder

I was freakish-ingly busy the past four days (kind of), and didn't get any time for a post but here it is.

Day Nine and Ten

My mornings were a bit calm as usual...but we set off to a purse sale at the main city of Tokyo. There were six floors of purses and by the time I reached the third, I was getting pretty annoyed as I didn't like anything that much. Needless to say, I didn't really buy anything..We set off for another purse sale, and after drinking some Japanese soda (I can't recall the name) went of to the Asakusa Temple.

The Asakusa Temple






The Asakusa Temple or Sensoiji is the oldest temple of Tokyo, built in the year 645. The story goes something like this. It was in the year 628 when two fishermen came across the idol of Kannon - the Godess of Mercy in the Sumida-Gawa river. They therefore built a temple to worship the Godess.

At the entrance is the Kaminari-mon or the Thunder Gate. Ahead of you now comes the Nakamise Dori which is a 300m long arcade.








This is a haven for souvenir collectors - from keychains to chopsticks,










 Wooden dolls to fans,

Then LAnterns


Snacks..

The Wigs!!!!

(Doesn't this look awesome?)

Masks!






You get the point!!! >>>>








We got so caught up in all these miniature Japanese wonders that we were unable to go inside the main temple. :(

The main hall stands beyond the Hozomon Gate. What fascinated me there were not the intricately designed lanterns but the unique kind of 'bhandar'. You could literally throw the coin and it would still go inside. I was also surprised when I saw I couldn't really figure out what/how much was inside it!

There was a huger one inside! I went again....it was like thrice the size of this one˜


These are used to wish...like they write their wish on them..
This was somewhere near the temple btw..

After the Asakusa temple, we left for some more shopping but this time, there was a difference. We were shopping for goodies! :P We bought a lot. Heck! We even finished some of their stock by buying six to ten packets of everything!

Taking a break at my uncles office, visiting a jain temple out there and picking him up, we went for dinner in a restaurent called Kana Pina. It had delicious food and made you feel as if you were in India itself! So after a scrumpulicious dinner, we headed back home.

But our day wasn't done yet! After watching a bit of mean girls and (the whole of) pitch perfect, eating a pan of popcorn, we went into deeeeeep slumber......to wake up the next day (duhhhhhh).


There is loads I did yesterday as well - Setting off at three and changing three trains, we went to Odaiba. The third train was spectacular. So is the place. It's like the road level is for vehicles, the second level is for walking and there is a third level in some places which is for idk what. But I found it really awesome that Odaiba is like a gigantic building with three floors and selective terraces!

Just LOOK at the levels!!


Can someone form a theory of why this is called the rainbow bridge??

We went around in two malls - Aqua city and Diver Ciy. (Did I mention that this whole place is made on reclaimed land? Or that I saw a bullet train? Or the fact that the third train ahd tracks below the rainbow bridge where the cars go above?) We had chocolate milkshake of Godiva which was out of the world and then did the purikura, played table tennis, packman, a teeny bit of kickboxing (I suck) and billiards in the mall. The rest one hour we spent in Karaoke. Trust me, after that, my vocal chords were dead, Anyones' would be after singing to Titanium and I Knew You Were Trouble!

This was just haf of my day though! After all this insane singing, we packed a subway and went off to Odaiba Onsen. An Onsen is a public bath. Literally. We didn't do that, but went all around.

The outside of Odaiba Onsen
Sporting a traditional Yukata (a summer Kimono), we played shuriken and another game where you ahd to blow the dart on the target. We did a massage on the massage chair and Dr. Fish (again) too. To top it off, there was rocks on the exterior that gives accu-pressure points! It was a different experience! We had edamame - soyabeans and tomatos.

This is Taiko-no Tatsujin...It's a pretty awesome game! But them yoir hand hurts like hell!

After reaching home at about 2:AM, I slept. 


Kanksha :)

I know, this is too late...like I hadn't uploaded for ages....at least it seemed like that. 
Today's post is way too long as well, and a bit abrupt. Let me just say I'll make up for it ;)



No comments:

Post a Comment